Re: Topband: ARRL 160

To: "'Don Kirk'" <wd8dsb@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL 160
From: <marsh@ka5m.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 11:07:48 -0600
I respectfully disagree with Don Kirk. My experience has been different. I
don't how many pileups I've broken quickly - where the station I'm trying to
work is operating simplex - by going split and transmitting a few Hz above
or below "zero beat". The operator at the other end is trying to copy a
callsign, and if everybody is "zero beat" it makes it very difficult to copy
anybody. Anything you can do to make your signal "stand out" or
differentiate it from the crowd makes it easier for the station you're
trying to work. (Also speeding up or slowing down a few WPM sometimes
helps.)

Someone taught me this a long time ago, and it works. He's worked a lot of
good DX in the last sixty (60) years or so.

73,
Marsh, KA5M