Topband: Niceties

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Niceties
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 09:30:35 -0800
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 00:19:45 -0500
From: Nick Maslon - K1NZ <k1nz@arrl.net>
To: topband@contesting.com

<I recently saw a post come across the reflector that referred to FT8 as
<junk. If I were to call CW a junk mode or insinuate that it's bad in any
<way, shape, or form, I would have a mob of OM with pitchforks and torches
<at my house in a heartbeat. Can we please just play nice and accept that
<the many hams in this hobby have differing interests and try to be
<supportive of them regardless of which modes, bands, or parts of the hobby
<they choose to enjoy?

<Merry Christmas,
<Nick K1NZ

## For us folks plagued with extreme high RX noise from ALL directions,
rendering
RX ants all but semi useless, postage stamp city lots, compromise TX + RX ants,
and
some with limited power on 160M, with their 80-10m amplifier.
I would say that FT-8 is tailor  made  for  160M.   FT-8 offers  far better SN
capabilities
than CW ever did, or will, just whats required for a noisy 160M band.

## Then factor in the opposite seasons south of the equator.   It may well
be winter in North America + EU, but its summer time in  VK + ZL, SA, etc.
Whats your noise level like on 160m..... in May, June, July, August ?

##  FT8 a junk mode,  I dont think so.  Its just what the Dr ordered.

Jim  VE7RF