Re: Topband: My beverage only hears static?

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: My beverage only hears static?
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 15:12:09 -0600
Hi Terry,

Is there a reason why you're pointing north? That's the wrong direction for
Aruba, especially with the very narrow beamwidth it has on 20m! :-)

On my Beverage antenna page at
www.w0btu.com/Beverage_antennas.html near the bottom, is an explanation of
where we should point our Beverages. I now use DX Atlas, which is perfect
for showing what direction the other station is.

Some tips:

Pour a hot, concentrated solution of Epsom Salts around any
freshly-driven-in ground rod (see the above web site). Later, add some
short radials (also see the website).

Generally, north is seldom a good direction, especially because from Oregon
you're pointing over the area where the least bit of Auroral activity can
ruin your reception.

If you terminate it, the signals and noise off the back of your Beverage
will drop by about 20 dB.

There's lots of folks here that can help you, that know more than I do
about Beverages.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com