Re: Topband: My beverage only hears static?

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>, Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: My beverage only hears static?
From: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 14:02:45 -0800 (PST)
Hi Mike and the group,

Oh, the reason the antenna is going to the north is that it's the most
convinenant direction to run my first beverage. I also tried some RG-11 (also
scrap from some CATV company I think) as a BOG. It's about 170 feet (that's
what I had) and I used it to just check and see if I could hear better with the
BOG using the shield as the antenna. Same results.

I just tried Tree's suggestion and went to the AM band and with the BOG the
noise floor goes up on my P3 panadapter. At 1650 KHz I'm copying the local
state weather condition and road condition channel. On AM mode it reads 59+5/10
and when I go to RX antenna I get an S-9 static with the carrier visable .
Can't hear the audio The AM broadcast station just below at 1640 KHz can be
copied. Tried LSB and that noise floor going up is the most noticeable thing
going up. Readings about the same.

I even disconnected the antennas getting S1/2. Found when I connect ground on
either XFRM input I go from S1/2  up to S-4/5.

Terry

KI7M