Re: Topband: Conditions on 160m for ARRL Contest

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Conditions on 160m for ARRL Contest
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 17:01:19 -0500 (EST)
Hi Terry,

500 pf "doorknob" capacitors are not rated for carrying
significant RF current. They work great in high impedance
applications such as plate blocking capacitor but in low
impedance circuits they carry much more RF current than
they're capable of handling which heats them and causes
extreme capacitance variation.

Use an RF current rated transmitting mica capacitor, vacuum
capacitor or air capacitor and you'll be good to go.

73
Frank
W3LPL