Re: Topband: Wednesday 160m DX Activity Night

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Wednesday 160m DX Activity Night
From: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 14:25:33 -0700
Hi Dave,

Although I made my first 160 QSO using a DX100 and a re-tuned car radio for a receiver in 1959 (a VE7 no less) I've not really been a regular on topband.  Last year it dawned on me that if I got a 160 DXCC I would have 9 bands, so that became a goal.  I now have it worked but need about 5 or 6 more QSLs.

As for more "goo" I dunno.  I'm 76 and am supposed to be downsizing :-).  I previously sold the tube amp, ripped out the 240V service and bought an Elecraft KPA500.  Now they have a KPA1500 but it's $6K and I have other ongoing issues with some of my Elecraft stuff, although the KPA500 has been almost flawless.

Plus, I've already spent an astonishing amount of $ on a simple inverted-L.  Sonotube, concrete, chrome moly ground post, DX Engineering foldover mount, winch, aluminum tubing, hose clamps, guy ropes and wire for radials.  Whew.  Whatever happened to the beer can vertical?  I was going to say I can afford upgrades, but the stock market just sank 700 points, so maybe not.

But, as you say, it's mostly fun and cheaper than playing golf.

Wes  N7WS