Re: Topband: Straws in the Wind ....A 160m Dx'ing Sea Change is Upon us!

To: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Straws in the Wind ....A 160m Dx'ing Sea Change is Upon us!
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 13:12:08 -0400
The awards usually come with CW, SSB and digital as categories.

What I see is FT8 displacing RTTY for awards, but not for contesting.

What FT8 will bring is the ability to use daytimes on 160 and 80 for
reliable distance communications with particular people with real
communications, like texting over the phone or email. Just exactly how far
that is on 160 at high noon yet to be determined.

I definitely do see FT8 as having an impact of some sort in disaster
communications where commercial or generator AC power is flat gone and
solar charged batteries are all there is. There would probably need to be
an asymmetrical FT8 where volume is 97% outbound. The platform seems to
have endless possibilities and I think the fellows will get there.

73, Guy

*--------------------------------*
*Lowering SWR does *
*   not *