Re: Topband: Straws in the Wind ....A 160m Dx'ing Sea Change is Upon us!

To: <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>, <k1zm@aol.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Straws in the Wind ....A 160m Dx'ing Sea Change is Upon us!
From: "Jim N7US" <jim@n7us.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 11:12:01 -0500
I also observed the same on 6M last summer when the switch was flipped and
FT8 replaced CW and SSB on 6M.  I've enjoyed 6M for only a few years, but I
lost all interest, despite my 6L SteppIR and KPA500, when that happened.

I've had a handful of FT8 QSOs early on, but I got no satisfaction using it.
It wasn't FUN for me.

I have simple, wire antennas for 80 and 160 but I've enjoyed those bands for
many years.  I was elated to work 3B9C on 160 from AZ in 2004 using a half
sloper (yes, at his SR).

I also enjoy RTTY and am almost on that Honor Roll, though the RTTY DXCC was
changed to the Digital DXCC a few years ago.  All of my contacts are on
RTTY, with none on PSK or other digital modes, so that has lost some of its
appeal.

I sold my 87A but still have my KPA500 while I wait for my KPA1500.  I am
questioning whether I should buy it given the rush to FT8.

Maybe I'm a "grumpy old man" but I don't think I'll mind eventually
downsizing with a simpler station because the hobby will have changed.  I'd
even be OK with RHR from "the home" but I wouldn't use it for competition.

Contesting, including CWops' CWTs, is still fun, but DXing won't be the
same.

73, Jim N7US