Re: Topband: Straws in the Wind ....A 160m Dx'ing Sea Change is Upon us!

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Straws in the Wind ....A 160m Dx'ing Sea Change is Upon us!
From: Anthony Scandurra <anthony.scandurra@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 14:21:53 -0400
"Maybe someday there will be unmanned solar-powered stations on remote DX
entities."

This was actually proposed at the 2017 IDXC in Visalia by a well-known and
prolific DXpeditioner.  I was the only person in the room who stood up with
a dissenting opinion about it.  However, I did have several people come up
to me after the presentation was over to tell me they agreed with me.

Reducing the human element ruins the accomplishment, in my opinion.  I
think many others agree with that sentiment.

I am all for technological advancement, but, for instance, when SSB
supplanted AM, the human element was not reduced.

Digital mode proponents will say that there is still a human element to the
process (despite what some naysayers have proclaimed), and I agree.
However, the REDUCTION of the human element reduces the FUN part of it.
One can argue that you cannot copy RTTY without electronic means, either.
That does not fully compare with how the JT modes work. The JT modes, more
than any others, reduce the human's role in the QSO.  When was the last
time a mechanical RTTY machine responded back without it's human pushing
the green keys?

73, Tony K4QE