Re: Topband: Straws in the Wind ....A 160m Dx'ing Sea Change is Upon us!

To: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Straws in the Wind ....A 160m Dx'ing Sea Change is Upon us!
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 10:40:30 -0700
This is an interesting discussion related to FT8.

In 1973 (a whole 45 years ago!) when I worked for Boeing Electronic Products in Seattle, they had a commericial (not ham radio) meteor scatter station. An ASR-33 at the master station in Seattle would send what amounted to "CQ" to a system of slave receivers connected to rain gauge sensors (they do get a bit of rain in Seattle :-) around the Pacific Northwest. If a particular rain gauge sensor picked up pings from meteor trials, it would immediately transmit its data back, presumably while the trial was still hot. If the trail went cold, the slave would get another chance the next time a meteor came. So this ASR-33 would just print data as it came in at random times. There may have been a DEC PDP-11 involved (there were no microprocessors at the time unless you count pocket calculators, and the HP35 wasn't
programmable).

I don't know much FT8, but this legacy system sounds a lot like
FT8.  Automatic QSO'ing, like the floating FT8 station out of
Hawaii.  Waiting for the teletype to fire up every few minutes
while it earned "worked all rain gauges" was more like watching paint dry than having "fun". They did need to have an "operator" at the master station to change the paper in the teletype once in a while.

Rick N6RK