Re: Topband: Straws in the Wind ....A 160m Dx'ing Sea Change is Upon us!

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Straws in the Wind ....A 160m Dx'ing Sea Change is Upon us!
From: Matt NQ6N <matt@nq6n.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 20:42:02 -0500
This is a very interesting discussion. I'd noticed some bugs in DXpedition
mode with FT8 but am looking forward to those being resolved. I'd suggest
an alternative FT8 frequency for any and all participants to test out
DXPedition mode while the bugs get worked out.

I have an inverted L on 160m and after about 300W on TX I become severely
limited by my lack of RX antennas and become an alligator.  For what it's
worth, the existence of FT8 does not reduce my interest in improving my RX
antennas whatsoever.  I've worked one or two new countries on 160 on FT8
that I hadn't worked yet on CW.  I know that from 9 land even if I maximize
the investment of money and engineering at my QTH toward RX antennas, I'll
still be able to complete more QSOs on FT8 than on CW due to the processing
gain of FT8.

As someone who has (for various reasons) not had the chance (yet) to put up
competitive antennas, the DX bug has bitten me most noticeably with FT8.
When the software prints out a line that shows up purple meaning it's a new
country I get a big rush of adrenaline.  It makes doing ham radio from the
black hole a lot more fun. And yes, it's quite a thrill to CQ on 160m FT8
and see RX reports light up across Europe on pskreporter.  I'm still an
alligator, but I now have a much better sense of the DX QSOs I'm missing
out on.

So overall I think that FT8 is a great thing for DXing. Yes, it does alter
the fairness of the honor roll competition because of the processing gain,
but if we wanted it to be completely fair we'd incorporate all gain (from
antennas and processing) and use some distance-based metric, handicapping
stations closer to the DX such that they'd be forced to use lower power,
etc.  DXing was absolutely not "fair" before FT8, so I don't think that we
have much to worry about with the advent of FT8 other than a flood of new
DXers joining the fun in the pileups.

73,
Matt NQ6N/9