Re: Topband: 160m polarization and elevation angles

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m polarization and elevation angles
From: Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 08:33:17 +1300
Hi Carl,

OH8X was active for some months when I was making Qs with Eu, in particular OH. I never heard them at all, although I have no idea of exactly when they were QRV. My guess is that if their monster antenna had produced results, they would have been a lot more active. We can certainly draw inferences from that!

In contrast, I have made many Qs with other guys running good stations with vertical Tx, such as OH2MA and OH3XR. In fact if there is any propagation at all between ZL and Eu, OH is often one of the first areas to benefit.

Conclusion - OH-ZL is not a particularly difficult path, and if the OH8X antenna had been effective, I would have easily heard them.

73, Greg, ZL3IX
It would have been great to have had the OH8X 160m Yagi up for a long time
so RBN could have been used to compare it to nearby vertical antennas. It
would have shown how much of this theory is applicable in the real world.