Topband: Some Early Topband Comments...What happened to DX Activity?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Some Early Topband Comments...What happened to DX Activity?
From: k1zm--- via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 04:36:00 -0400
GM All

It has been asked this week why there seems to be little activity on 160m so
far this Fall season.  Actually, there is PLENTY of DX activity on Topband so
far - but much of it has migrated to 1840 and is on FT8.

Last Spring, when 7Q7EI was active, I made a post commenting on FT8.  What I
said basically at the time was:

1) In July 2017 there was almost a total transition on 6M from Dx'ing on CW
mode to FT8 - and that I had recently purchased an IC7300 so I could
participate in 6M Dx'ing again during the summer 2018 FT8 sporadic E season .
This past summer I joined the gang on FT8 on 50.313 and worked many JA's, into
Africa (5A and TY2) and almost made a qso with KH7XS.

2) I noted lst Spring that there would probably be a migration of sorts on 160M
to FT8 also - but hoped that CW would remain in use as well - as the
traditional DX mode on Topband.

So here we are now, not long after the equinox in Fall 2018 on Topband.

Here's what I have seen so far over the last several weeks:

1) Almost like clockwork at my SS, FT8 opens the band on 1840 with literally
pages of EU DX available - including A41ZZ, 9K2HS and many Eu stations.  DM2SP
is there every night and many others.

2) If you listen on CW mode - there is very little activity out of EU - some
like G3YRO and a few others - but there is little volume available - recently
3V8SS (ASH) was on CW testing out his new 160m antenna as 3V8SF operating on
1837.5 with a big CW signal - and he was doing well in NA as well as into EU.

3) In the mornings on CW - VK3HJ VK3IO and VK2WF have often been available on
CW mode - as well as ZL2OK on 160M SSB.

Typically now at my SR - there is a mix of FT8 and some CW.  E6Y, ZL7X and
YJ0GC have shown up on CW all with good signals - so CW is still a part of the
game (for now!)

FT8 usually is in full swing also at my SR with lots of JA's and some VK/ZL -
also VK3HJ, VK3EW and others have been in on CW with great signals - ZL2OK was
5/9 on 1847 SSB recently.

The bottom line:

FT8 has gained in popularity - largely because it gets through better than CW -
and it is a new way to work people that is EASY.  A modest 100w station with
average antennas on FT8 can work some real DX on 160M these days and it is
simply human nature to gravitate to what works BEST for a given person as they
approach Dx'ing on 160m.

I am hopeful that the 6M "total migration pattern to FT8" experienced in July
of 2017 will NOT happen on 160m - but FT8 seems to be where the activity is
concentrated so far.  We shall see how things continue to play out as the
season develops.

One final note

DX Peditions -  especially in places where signals are known to be really weak
into Eastern NA - (like my experience at 9M0W last March) should think at least
about doing some FT8 while they are out there - in addition to traditional CW
mode.

TR8CA has commented repeatedly that FT8 "gets through" the African QRNN - far
better at his qth than CW mode - which is why Alain uses it so often on 160m.
Norbert 7Q7EI said the same thing - he could only hear CW signals in the noise
on 160M when he tried it - so he went over to FT8 and made quite a number of NA
qso's that way when CW was impossible copy for him.

This winter season, I may have a chance to make another trip - too early to
comment on it now - but if it happens I can almost guarantee that I will do
some FT8 while there - WHY?  Because it gets through.... no doubt about it.

Good luck to everyone this season - 160m should be in really great shape this
Winter - we are very close to the bottom - it will be either this season or the
next - but either way - we are entering the best part of the cycle for weak
signal work on Topband!

GL to all

73 JEFF  VY2ZM/K1ZM