Re: Topband: Adding chicken wire or mesh on top of radial field

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Adding chicken wire or mesh on top of radial field
From: Yuri Blanarovich <k3bu@optimum.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 11:52:49 -0400 (EDT)
I think the best vertical installations were done by old radio engineers.
No modeling programs, but tedious solid measurements reflecting reality.

What I saw at WOO - Long Lines AT&T station is perhaps ideal setup for vertical all band (discone) antennas. Radiator sits on concrete base about 3 ft high, with insulator. Tower radiator is about 30 ft high, with bundle of wires coming from the top, to the ring about 2/3 up, then down back to base. Not sure if there are any radials/screen at the ground, but the ground is practically flooded by the sea water. Sea water comes through dredged channels, with evaporation, I presume, increasing the salinity. Radials are coming out from the base, suspended in the air, over to the wooden  circular "fence" (radius about 25 ft?) then they slope and drop to the ground.

For better efficiency, it is desirable to make the high current carrying portion of the antenna longest possible (electrical closer to 3/8 wave) and portion of radials by the base suspended in the air (no earth "eating" the RF). If no salt water, looks like the best combination is to lay the ground screen in the vicinity of the antenna (gives "reflections" for pattern forming) and then suspended or partially suspended radials to "counterpoise" the antenna. No need to connect screen to radials. Best 160 inland vertical?  Wally, W8LRL has 3/8 vertical radiator sitting on the mound, with 360 radials 3/8 long, laid on the surface.

Looks like WOO Ocean gate QTH is (was) probably the best in the world. I never seen the S-meter to sit at 0 on 160m on vertical, dead QUIET!

Yuri, K3BU.us