Re: Topband: elevated radials

To: topband <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: elevated radials
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 23:14:14 -0500
Hi Pete,

*Ideally*, the current on each radial should be equal. In the searchable
archives at http://www.contesting.com/_topband this has been discussed at
length, and in a number of threads. There are also instructions there for
making a very simple RF current meter with only two or three components, so
you can measure the RF current in each radial.

Having said that, I modeled my inverted-L with only ONE radial. The pattern
was not near as bad as one might think! (Somewhere, I think I still have
the EZNEC .ez file. The problem might be figuring which computer it's on.
It may be on my website somewhere. ;-)

My 160m inverted-L had just two 10' high radials. I was so eager to get on
160 that I never even bothered to measure the current. :-)

On my ground radials webpage at
www.w0btu.com/Optimum_number_of_ground_radials_vs_radial_length.html ,
there are some links to articles by experts that discuss elevated radials.
Scroll down past the graphics. (Please excuse the unfinished mess, the
photos should be on the same page, but they are not.)

See also www.w0btu.com/160_meters.html for photos etc. of my antenna.

Hope this helps.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com