Re: Topband: Locating Problem Signals

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Locating Problem Signals
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2019 12:48:22 -0500 (EST)
Simple TDoA techniques are useful for direction finding on
non-ionospheric propagation modes, but TDoA-only DF techniques
are very unreliable for ionospherically propagated signals

A recent example is the intruder that was continuously active on
14.000 MHz for several days. Operators on the Kiwi TDoA
network were convinced that the intruder was definitely located in
Indiana. The Kiwi DF network was off by more than 1000 miles...

An informal network of hams using simple 20 meter Yagi
was much more accurate.

73
Frank
W3LPL