Topband: really weird propagation

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: really weird propagation
From: N7DF via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 15:04:29 +0000 (UTC)
This morning I saw T31EU posted many times on DXSCAPE on 160 so I turned on the
rig to listen for him...at 1305 he was 20 over S9 but within a minute he had
faded out completely..strangely enough I could not hear any of the stations
calling him...within another couple of minutes his signals were back up and I
noticed that he several times called stations who never came back to him..This
pattern seemed to persist for the remainder of the morning until he faded out
completely around 14:40.. Spaceweather.com reports a pending geomagnetic storm
but nothing unusual at the time I was listening..there has been a prolonged
period of over 20 days of zero sunspots so that probably has something to do
with it..I do not think I will ever understand 160 meter propagation but that
is one of the things that makes it so interesting