Re: Topband: Drones for antenna installation?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Drones for antenna installation?
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2019 18:08:01 -0400
Interesting discussion on shooting antenna wires in trees.

I have used a bow and arrow for 25 years.  Cheap practice bow (good for
trees up to 100ft) and practice arrows with an open tip.  I fill the tip
with a few nuts (ie nuts and bolts nuts) and tape the end shut which gives
just a bit of weight to the arrow - nose down.  This hampers the distance
capability a bit but still allows clearing of a 100 ft tree.  And then the
arrow drops like a stone through the tree branches.  I have not lost an
arrow in many many years.

I have developed pretty darned good accuracy over the years.  So while drone
is cool, the need is not there, and the loss of an occasional $2 arrow is a
non-issue compared to a $200 - $750 drone.

I am always surprised that people don't use the bow and arrow more.  Spud
guns and slingshots seem to be more popular.

Ed  N1UR