Topband: Circle arrays

To: Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Circle arrays
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 14:34:06 +0000
I am pondering an eight circle array.  At present my only ham band that I am QRV on is 160 meters. A few years ago I had 28 thru 24 GHz all percolating, but the maintenance was killing me. i was a slave to the station. Now I am having fun! Rather than tweaking with noise figure meters and VNAs, I now do all my work with wrenches and chainsaw.

There are several choices for 8 circle arrays.  My question is how much benefit would I get from the single band version as opposed to a dual or three band choice?  Reading the hype is always fraught with danger.  Practical experience is always better.  My thinking is that if there is a distinct advantage, I would go with a 160 only setup and forego the other bands.  I can carve out a 200 ft circle with a little chainsaw action. I have about 180 ft of field available now, so can get the room with not too much trouble.

I also better hook up my 160 transceiver quick. It is still packed away from Field Day!!

Comments?

Dave K1WHS