Re: Topband: OT - Bonding Radials at Intersections

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: OT - Bonding Radials at Intersections
From: donovanf@erols.com
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2020 01:39:46 -0500 (EST)
Hi Jeff,

Micro arcing can be excited by just a few volts of RF. While micro arcing
probably is n't a fire risk, micro arcing radiates low level phase noise
on transmitted signals. This is can cause a serious interference
problem to nearby receivers such as neighboring hams or co-located
receivers such an in-band receiver in a contest station.

I personally experienced these problems with megawatt transmitters.
In one instance, a massive radial system for a one mile long of array of
HF phased verticals had to be completely replaced because it generated an
elevated noise floor that degraded the performance of the HF over the
horizon radar. In another case a poorly engineered, badly installed and
inadequately maintained radial system for a 500 kw VLF system caused
severe television interference to neighbors that forced premature site closure.

73
Frank
W3LPL