Topband: What antenna would you build?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: What antenna would you build?
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 05:18:43 -0500
Good question.  I don't think you mentioned any cost limit.  Given
that I would put up a substantial self supporting commercial tower ~
130' tall.  Solid legs, 5 or 6' face tapering to 1 or 2 feet.  Pyrod
or similar.  I'd put a skirt on it, 3 vertical wires on insulated
standoffs with horizontal loops bonded in, every 20' or so and plow in
at least 100 quarter wave 160 m. radials around the tower base.
Essentially a skirt fed 90 degree monopole on 1800 kc.  skirt feed
means the tower can be grounded and used for other purposes at the top
-- whatever your interests are.  Of course it would have to be sited
to allow room for the ground system.  Forget about anything horizontal
or any kind of dipole on 160.  I guess if you wanted to spend a lot,
you could do a pair of these towers and phase them.  You'll have solid
towers you'll never be hesitant to climb; and never have to deal with
guy cables, or a base insulator like you'd need with a guyed hot
tower.   You will get out unless the band is completely dead.  It will
be interesting to read what others come up with.

73
Rob
K5UJ