Re: Topband: QRP on 160?

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>, Radio KH6O <radio.kh6o@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: QRP on 160?
From: Russ Tobolic via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2024 22:28:51 +0000 (UTC)
 Jeff,
I haven't been on topband in a few years since my antenna went down in an ice
storm.  I was always active QRP in the big Stew Perry contests back 8-20 years
ago but then I got old and couldn't stay awake all night and together with some
health problems for both my wife and me I haven't had the gumption to get the
antenna back up. It is very possible to work some good DX with only 5 watts but
you have to have a decent antenna.  I had a 65"  "T" vertical with top loading
wires and 60+ ground wires from 60' to 120' long.  If I could hear them on my
K9AY loop I could work them.  I could regularly work most of the conus but EU
was always a bust from this DX BLACK hole in Michigan.  However, I went through
some of my old Stew Perry logs and the best DX with 5 watts was CE4/K7CA in
2012  and KH7Y and KH6LC in 2013.  Of course, sunspots were a different thing
10 years ago.
Good luck, and keep working on on good antennas.
73,Russ N3CO
    On Monday, July 1, 2024 at 01:59:13 PM EDT, Radio KH6O