Re: Topband: QRP on 160?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: QRP on 160?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2024 01:55:58 -0700
On 7/1/2024 8:58 PM, Ken WA8JXM wrote:
For the younger crowd, 25 watts was the max power allowed in several 160m
segments (especially the opposite coast) back in the 60's and 70's.  100w
was the max anywhere in the U.S.

For a lot of reasons, having to do with having a life outside of ham radio, I wasn't on topband in those days. But I don't need to have been there to know that the primary difference between then and now was RF Noise at both ends of the QSO. 40-50 years ago, the most we had to deal with was power line noise, the result of acting at defective equipment (wiring, insulators, mechanical hardware). Now, the average hone has at a couple of dozen noise sources, in the form of Switch-Mode Power Supplies (SMPS) mandated two decades ago for increased efficiency to combat global warming. I applaud the intent, but failure to fund FCC to enforce EMC regs made it a major noise source everywhere people live! Do you remember "small government?"

73, Jim K9YC