Re: Topband: CY9C topband CW

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: CY9C topband CW
From: Steve Harrison <k0xp@k0xp.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2024 08:52:59 -0700
As far as I could tell, they weren't on 160 CW at all last night, just
digital on 1836. In contrast, they were copiable on 80m just about all
night last night whereas before last night, I had to wait until an hour
before their SR before they even came up out of the noise enough to tell
they were there on either 160 or 80m.

We have to remember that unlike George's last few expeditions, on St.
Paul, these guys can't put their antlers down on the beach (of which
there aren't any) with ground radials in the salt water; the island is
entirely rock. That's gonna hurt low-band radiation efficiency quite a bit.

I thought I'd worked them on one band on 8/29, then the other band on
8/30. But I don't seem to be in the log, so I was trying desperately on
80m last night but to no avail; the op gave up a good hour-plus before
his SR. Dunno where he went unless it was to 10 MHz. Hard to believe my
700 watts can be so weak to that op on 80m that he can't hear me over
more than three hours, during which he was mostly S5 and in the clear.

If you look at their statistics as of 1600Z on 8/31, you'll notice that
except 15m, they have more Qs listed on digital than both CW and SSB
combined. Someone out there has their priorities all screwed up, as well
as piss-poor band planning the whole way. I won't be contributing to a
WA4DAN-lead expedition again after this one unless there are some changes.

Steve, K0XP