Re: Topband: CY9C critism

To: "Mike VE9AA ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Subject: Re: Topband: CY9C critism
From: Michael Walker <va3mw@portcredit.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2024 09:30:08 -0400
HI All

I was watching CY9C on 160M last night from about 8pm to 9pm last night on
FT8 and I thought it was pretty interesting.

I am about 1400 km from them at 44 degrees north to give you an idea.

I had no issue working them just after 8pm ET using F/H.  I then called
VA3SK on the phone who is 200km north of me and he worked them on FT8
without issue running about 60 watts on his T-Top vertical and his elevated
radials lying on the ground.

At the same time, I could see 8 or 9 other stations calling him (2's, 4's
and some 9's).  It was clear that CY9C was not decoding them (no, not a
timing issue).

What I did notice was the QRN on 160M last night was HUGE.  I was watching
the waterfall bounce up and down at least 30db and I am sure this impacted
their ability to decode.  I would not be surprised if they had similar
conditions.

After 9pm, I could see them starting to work the 9's.

Just my observations.   And, like others have said, until you have walked a
mile in their shoes ......

Mike va3mw