KLM KT34A CORROSION PROBLEM

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: KLM KT34A CORROSION PROBLEM
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 12:52:09 -0400

>1. Use non-metal-bearing joint compound (NOALOX) at the joints. I've
>never tried this; it's NOT what KLM reccommends, but it has been
>used and recommended by others, although never, to my knowledge, on
>a KT-34...
>
>2. Pop-rivet or sheet metal screw the joints (not the capacitors, please!).

Tony --

     Very good advice as usual.

         1.  There are many anti-oxidant products out there.  As long as it
is the one for the metal of interest (in this case aluminum), any of them are
fine.  The one KLM uses is a good product.

         2.  My favorites are self-tapping screws with Phillips heads.  They
have a chisel-tip point on them and you can put one on with a cordless drill
in a matter of seconds.  They give you a good mechanical and electrical
joint.  The brand name I've seen are TEK screws.  Rather than disassemble and
redo ALL the KT34 connections (I think I'd rather throw the antenna away than
go through all that work), I'd put the screws in and  call it good.

73,  Steve  K7LXC