Torque-Controlling Guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Torque-Controlling Guys
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 22:54:30 -0400

>Mast/rotor arrangement at the top is very solid
>(2.5 inch high strength alloy and a prop pitch), but
>the whole tower turns at the top about 5 degrees or
>so when the wind blows or when the rotor starts
>and stops. I have a massive rubber shaft-coupler
>between the rotor and the mast that helps absorb
>shock-torque, but the top couple of sections
>turn nonetheless.
>Should I be worried? I am considering going
>to a dual-guy arrangement for the top set of
>guys, with the big torque-controlling ears at
>the top (not sure of the correct terminology.)

Hi, Geoff --

      Your 5 degree movement seems like a lot.   Are your guy wires tensioned
to their 10% specification?  Perhaps they are under-tensioned. Are you using
the Rohn GA45G Guy Assembly?  Or the old torque arms?

>Anyone know if these attachment brackets are Rohn
>stock, and the best way to calculate how much torque
>they will assest?

       The Rohn TA45 Torque Arm Stabilizer Assembly, sometimes called a 'star
bracket', is the part you're looking for.  It is used for dish installations
and virtually eliminates tower twisting; it really locks down the tower.
 Many station owners with full-sized 40M beams or 75 M yagis use this
approach for tower stabilization.

     As far as how much torque, you could call the factory (309-697-4400) and
ask but they might not have the answer or be willing to share it with you.

73,  Steve  K7LXC