Safe Roof Climbing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Safe Roof Climbing
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman)
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 96 10:30:43 -0400
I've see a lot of messages about the proper (safe) way to climb on
towers, but I'm curious to ask if anyone has any safety tips or equipment
for climbing on the roof of a house.

Here's my scenario. With my wife on medical leave from her job, I've
given up hope of a tower this year, and inside am concentrating on ways
to improve my Low Dipole(tm).

My lot has no trees (other than short ones just planted) since it used to
be pasture. The highest point on my lot is my house, specifically the
framed chimney. The back edge of the lot has a neighbors yard with woods,
and I've borrowed a tree branch to anchor my doublet.

Biggest problem is height. Currently, the doublet is anchored to the side
of the house below the eves and to a tree branch. With the weight of the
feedline, the antenna isn't much higher than 10-15 feet. When I look out
my kitchen window, the center insulator is at eye level. Not good.

Mike K9EC suggested I put a mast against my chimney and anchor the dipole
there. I like this idea. I've been thinking about using a corner mount
and 8-10 feet of 1 1/2" PVC pipe, then back-guying the top of the pipe to
the chimney. This would put it 6 or so feet above the chimney. I like
this idea and believe it could support the weight of the wires with no
problem.

The problem is, how to install this safely. In my old house, I had a 5/12
roof. I thought nothing of climbing up there and walking around, since
the pitch is fairly low. (Indeed, I thought nothing of climbing up on the
6 foot quad-footed roof tower without a tower belt, but let's just say
I've gotten enlightenment since then)

My current house has a much steeper pitch, about 8-10/12. (I'm not
entirely sure, it looks to be about 40 degrees. I should measure it)
Getting to the chimney shouldn't be hard if I can walk across the roof,
since there's a portion above the garage easily accessible with a short
ladder. Getting to the chimney with a ladder could be difficult, the base
is high (30 feet?), set back from the edge of the house, and the ground
slopes downward from right to left as you face the chimney.

The question is -- how do you do this safely? Is the roof too steep to
walk across? Are there some special shoes I should use? What's the best
way to anchor myself so I don't have to worry about slipping off? How do
I anchor myself while I'm walking across the roof?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PS - In the last year, a ham in a nearby subdivision fell off his tower
and died. Left a wife and three kids. I didn't know about him until after
the fall, so I don't know who he was or any details. Be safe!

Bill Coleman, AA4LR           Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901