Phoenix towers-update

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Phoenix towers-update
From: AA7NO@aol.com (AA7NO@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 11:15:27 -0400
Hello Stan:

Re: the 100mph winds in Phoenix... more updates..

The winds were actually measured up to 120mph in the center of the storm!!

The contester with the 3el 40m, 204ba, and 5 el 10m antenna on the 100' Rohn
25g
tower has a 2" chromemoly  (sp?) 1/4" wall that bent at the top of the tower.
No damage to the antennas, but they can only be used for moonbounce now, as
they are pointed at a 45 degree angle, hihi.
Can't get a crane in to do the work, so antennas may be damaged when removed.

The 55' crank-up tower that folded at the base was not an aluminum tower, but
steel tower such as a US Tower.  It was cranked down abt 10' from optimum
height,
but still folded over at the base.  This is to be removed this weekend... and
I will
follow up if you like with an analysis of why it collasped.. (I know, I know,
it was
those 100 + winds...hihi).

I posted this to the reflectors as I have received several comments... maybe
I should
do this direct to you Stan.

73 de Mike/aa7no