Lifting a lot of weight?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Lifting a lot of weight?
From: rlboyd@CapAccess.org (Rich L. Boyd)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 00:27:58 -0400 (EDT)
I may be getting confused, but if this was the 20M yagi on 48' boom, I
think that's more than an "average antenna," and I'm personally not
surprised that one person (unless you're 200 pounds plus) might not be
able to move it.

I have done a lot of single handed work here with the Telrex 6-el 20 (46'
boom, 175-200 pounds I guess), 8-el 15 (similar size and weight) and
homebrew 3-el 40, which I put up single handed but first the boom then
each element by itself.  I find the maximum pull on a rope is like
ringing a church bell, pulling straight down on the rope, using all your
body weight to pull down.  It's just possible to raise an antenna of this
class this way with one person.  The hardest part is when you have to
hold its weight with just one hand while you use the other hand to tie
off the rope.  I don't recommend it; it's at the limits of one person's
capabilities (or beyond).

With comealongs things are much easier, tho the average comealong only
has a 6-12' pull, at which point you have to tie off the antenna and
reposition the comealong.  A chain hoist with a long chain would be
better -- if the chain is long enough, no repositioning.  You can raise
an antenna past guy wires by releasing the guy wire (one side only) long
enough to get the yagi past -- then reconnect it.  Many people use a
power winch instead of either of these, or the riding mower, a tractor,
or the pickup truck -- all depends on how well equipped you are.

73 - Rich Boyd, KE3Q

Problems:                 k7lxc@contesting.com