Epoxy Primer on Galvanized Metal

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Epoxy Primer on Galvanized Metal
From: k7fr@ncw.net (Gary Nieborsky)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 08:15:12 -0700
At 11:48 PM 9/16/96 -0400, you wrote:
>I am looking for a good epoxy primer to apply to galvanized metal prior
>to painting with epoxy paint. I tried some epoxy pool primer and found
>it all just peeled right off despite prepping the metal with TSP and
>mineral spirits. Any thoughts?
>
>--
>Joe Leikhim
>Jleikhim@nettally.com
>"tv dinner by the pool,
>i'm so glad i finished school"-F.Zappa 1967

Joe,

I had an opportunity to see first hand how the BIG BOYS do paint over
galvanized (POG).  My utility just purchased some steel poles that required
"aesthetically pleasing" light blue paint.  The method they use to get the
paint to stick to the galvanized steel is to heat the piece up to age the
galvanizing (drive off any left over pickling stuff, then sand blast the
surface until the shine is gone (but not the zinc) then apply an epoxy
powder paint.  Powder painting is out of the reach for most us hams so I
guess the next best would be a good epoxy paint....like pool paint!   I
think the reason your first try came off was because the surface still had
contaminates on it......especially if it was new galvanizing.

Hope this helps......we have some POG poles that have been up for 10+ years
and aside from dents and dings from the poles running out in front of cars
none show much more deterioration than oxidized paint.

73 Gary K7FR