Epoxy Primer on Galvanized Metal

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Epoxy Primer on Galvanized Metal
From: donovanf@sgate.com (Frank Donovan)
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 08:51:19 -0400 (EDT)
Stan,

Unfortunately, while your Dad's trick undoubtably did work, vinegar is an
acid that also took away some of the remaining life of the galvanized
surface!

Modern painting systems allow galvanized metals to last indefinitely, even
if they have begun to deteriorate; however, it important to prepare the
galvanized surface properly AND to use an appropriate primer.  Current
practice is very thoroughly described in the FREE American Galvanizers
Association (AGA) publication "Painting Galvanized Structural Steel,"
available by calling them at (303)750-2900.

Quoting page 16 of that publication: "In the past, galvanized steel was
often cleaned with vinegar or other mild acid prior to painting.  This
practice is no longer recommended.  Instead, solvents and detergents
should be used which effectively clean but are less agressive to the zinc
surface."

The AGA recommends cleaning with detergents or solvents to remove loose
rust, dirt, oil, grease, etc, then rinsing with water.  Federal
Spec TT-P-641B primer for galvanized steel is readily available from
McMaster-Carr and Rust-Oleum also has appropriate primers.