Rohn foldover questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Rohn foldover questions
From: k9cw@prairienet.org (Andrew B. White)
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 08:07:26 -0500 (CDT)
On Sat, 21 Sep 1996, John Bednar (K3TEJ) wrote:

> I bought a used 58' Rohn foldover tower thats on the ground waiting
> to be put up. The spec sheet calls for 4 guy anchors 25' out from
> the base spaced 35' apart going up to the hinge point on the tower.
> It also recommends guying at the apex but doesn't say at what
> distance from the base.

On my 58' foldover, I put the guy anchors out 35' from the base.  The
lower guys use 3/16" EHS and I have Phillystran on the upper set; both
sets of guys share the same anchor points.  When I first put the tower up
5 years ago, I had hoped I could get by with only the lower set of guys
(I live out a rural area with only corn/beans as far as one can see), but
the top of the tower moved around more that I thought it should with a
KT34A and rotatable dipole on top.

While having to disconnect the upper guys to tilt the tower over does add
a bit of time, I don't tip it over that often.  In fact, my rotor
indicator just stopped working, and I am going to tip it over in the
next week or so to fix that.  I have never been sorry that I put up the
foldover tower.

73, Drew

|    Andrew B. White  K9CW    |    internet: k9cw@prairienet.org    |
|    ABW Associates, Ltd.     |   phone/fax: 217-643-7327           |