Log Periodics

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Log Periodics
From: n4xy@avana.net (Ed Tanton N4XY)
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 1996 16:35:33 -0300
Hi Stuart... I am sure there will be lots of other replies, but basically
speaking log periodic pros and cons
boil down to:

        PRO:    1. Log periodics do exhibit signal gain-but gain lower than 3el
yagis
                2. L.P.s have very wide bandwidth compared to yagis
                3. L.P.s do not use traps/etc.
                4. L.P.s-by virtue of their very wide bandwidth-typically cover
Phone & CW w/o retuning rig

        CON:    1. Log periodics are much larger and heavier than most
multiband yagis
                2. L.P.s typically exhibit poor front-to-back ratios compared
to yagis
                3. Most L.P.s are more expensive than their multi-banded cousins

I *THINK* that about covers it... I am sure everyone else will let us both know
if I have gone astray or
exaggerated. I seriously considered several LP options about a year ago, and
finally, when I had determined
that to have really good gain 7-30MHz I was going to have to get TWO LPs, one
for 6.9-10.2MHz, and the other
for 13.9-30MHz, I decided it was not possible for me. IF I had the $$$ AND the
towers, AND the real estate
(turning radii) MAYBE. There is still the poor F>B ratio-compared to a 'good'
yagi, and the very real
problems associated with rotating and maintaining such a large set of antennas.
(The 'good' yagi I continue to
refer to is a Hygain TH-11... my final choice [note: does NOT cover 7 or
10.1MHz]-but not a purchase-yet!)
That sums up what I learned when I was looking. The Cushcraft has reviewed
well, and is not THAT much
larger than that typical 3 el yagi-I think. Good luck & 73.
--
 Ed Tanton N4XY (770) 579-3933 Voice / MBX / FAX Marietta, GA
 QRP-ARCI G-QRP OK-QRP QRP-L  AdvRC  ARRL  AMSAT NCDXF INDXA