Preformed Guy Grips -question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Preformed Guy Grips -question
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 15:15:31 -0400

>Should have mentioned that the Preforms for 3/16 and 1/4 inch
>guy wire really don't have a big enough loop to go around the
>leg and the two vees properly.

John --

    According to my Preform specs, the 'seat diameter' for the 3/16 inch grip
can be from 1 inch to 1-3/4 inch around a pin. You can go up to 2-1/2 inch
through an insulator but then you use the SECOND cross-over mark to start
your wrap.

      Adding the 1.25 OD leg size to the 5/16 inch brace rod size for 25G
(times 2 because you're going around two braces) gives a 2.5 inch diameter -
too big for the Preform grip spec.  John, your option of using a short swaged
pigtail to use as the tower termination would be the only way to go.  The big
problem, of course, is that you don't have the torsion resistance of the guy
assemblies.

    For a 1/4 grip, the minimum is 1-1/8 inch but the maximums are the same
as 3/16.

73,  Steve  K7LXC