1/4 wave coax and switch box?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: 1/4 wave coax and switch box?
From: Paul.Ferguson@pobox.com (Paul Ferguson)
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 01:50:47 +0000
I am building a feed system for a quad with wires for 5 bands. My plan
is to run 1/4 wavelength of 72 ohm coax from each element to a switch
box on the boom. I will use a single 52 ohm coax from the switch box
to the shack. This will provide a match for about 113 ohms at the
antenna.

I trimmed a piece of 72 ohm coax to 1/4 wavelength using an Autek RF1
instrument getting Z=0 at a  design frequency of 21.150 Mhz with the
coax left open..

The switch box I have (from ICE) uses a few inches of copper strip to
make the switched connections between the coax connectors and relays.
I decided to find out how the switch box might change the tuning of a
quarter-wave coax transformer.

I found  with the  coax connected to the box, and the relay activated
to switch the coax to the common input connector, I get Z=20  ohms
with nothing else connected to the switch box. Sweeping the analyzer
to find where Z=0 yielded 18.700 Mhz.

The change is obviously due to the relay contacts and wiring inside
the switch box. My question is should I do anything about it? Should I
trim the coax to 1/4 wavelength with it attached to the box and
switched to the common coax input connector?

K5ESW
Paul
Paul.Ferguson@pobox.com