Antenna-torque bal?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Antenna-torque bal?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 15:45:29 -0500

>Not sure why there should be "varying confusion" on torque balancing.
>By doing so, you will maximize the stability of the antenna on the mast
>in the presence of wind.  That will help your rotor turn the antenna in
>the wind and minimize the "work" performed by the rotor and its brake
>while not turning the antenna/mast.

    One of the easiest things you can do to minimize antenna torque on a mast
is to mount the antennas on OPPOSITE sides of the mast.  The wind-induced
torque on one antenna will be (mostly) cancelled out by the opposite
wind-induced torque on the other antenna.  Even if the antennas are different
sizes, there is definite benefit to doing this.  If nothing else, at least
you don't have ALL the torque loaded on the rotator.  If you have a 10, 15
and 20M Christmas tree  installation, mount the 20 on one side and the 10 and
15 on the other; it'll be close enough.

     Dave Leeson, W6NL, the amateur formerly known as W6QHS, is apparently
rewritting a paper on the issue.  I don't know when it'll be available.

73,  Steve  K7LXC