48 Ft Booms

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: 48 Ft Booms
From: donovanf@sgate.com (Frank Donovan)
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 20:35:34 -0500 (EST)
Hi Gary!

Three years ago I was presented with an "opportunity" when a 100+ MPH
microburst damaged many of my antennas.  I took advantage of this
"opportunity" to rebuild all of them!  I was very surprised to discover
that 24 ft lengths of 3" diameter x 0.125" wall 6061-T6 aluminum tubing
were only about $50.00 each (I bought 20 pieces) delivered from our local
metals supplier.   I used two of these for each of my Yagis except the
rebuilt 40M beams, for which I used tubing with 0.188" wall.

The two pieces of tubing are spliced with a piece of 4130 chrome-moly
steel tubing, cut down to 2.74" diameter on a lathe and galvanized.
You can purchase chrome-moly tubing relatively cheaply from Dillsburg
Aeroplane Works in Dillsburg, PA.  Lengths up to 9 ft are UPS shippable.

73!
Frank
W3LPL
donovanf@sgate.com