True North in One Sentence (again)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: True North in One Sentence (again)
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 1997 06:53:48 -0800
M. Gray Brafford wrote:

> I hate to bring this up because last time someone asked this question on
> packet, the troops RAVED for weeks. Anyway here goes; anyone know a quick
> and dirty way of locating true North? Can it be as simple as adding an x
> number of degrees one way or the other to a compass north reading?
> What say you?
> Mick...W4YV
>
> --
> Problems:                 K7LXC@contesting.com

"At the time (local) half way between local sunrise and local sunset,
the Sun, if shining, will cast a shadow exactly (true) North-South."

That's the sentence.

Now, to avoid the FLAMES I received last time:  No, I do not mention
NOON and this has nothing at all to do with noon, anywhere.  Yes, this
works in the Southern Hemisphere, the shadow will fall to the South,
however.  Yes, this works in Alaska (when the sun is out). Yes, if you
live in Death Valley or behind a hill, you won't be able to use this.
And finally, no, it will not work on the Moon, and it will be difficult
on/near the Earth's Equator.

Example:

local sunrise = 0700
local sunset = 1720

The sun will cast a shadow N-S at exactly: {(1720-0700)/2} + 0700 =
1020/2 + 0700 =
510 + 0700 = 1210 local time!

Just use the local weather forcaster's sunrise/sunset times and it's
accurate for amateur antenna alignment for sure!

73!

Bill, N3RR