TRUE NORTH QUERY

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: TRUE NORTH QUERY
From: DArney@gnn.com (Dan Arney)
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 20:16:04
M. Gray, And the TRUE NORTH crowd: Well I am going to put this
little tid bit of info into
your data stream just to clue you in. First of all if you are not
into laying out boundary lines for legal discription, then the East

West varition  will suffice for the rest of any normal day to day
requirements. I have over 20,000 hours pilot time with 125 trips
around the world. Plus I flew out of Resolute Bay in The NWT of
Canada in 72/73 and we used to fly over and into a ice strip at the

magnetic North pole and sit on the ground in the Electra while we
were unloading fuel and WATCH THE WHISKEY COMPASS GO ROUND AND
ROUND SITTING STILL ON THE GROUND PERIOD. We used modified GRID
navigation in those latitudes and used ASTRO Compass to shoot sun
lines/moon/planets to get True lines shooting for headings to a
landing strip. We had to use the correct charts for
time/declination and bodies(not human) to get a track.

MY POINT IS AND I HAVE SAID IT BEFORE LOUD AND CLEAR. What you are
doing on HF is like trying to get the fly shit out of the black
pepper with an electron microscope, when the pattern for the
antenna or path in question has an agle bandwidth of 30 degres or
more at takeoff. unless you are at 10 gig's or light.
East is least and west is best and 13 degrees in LA don't mean S--T

at HF.

So if you live in a normal city in the USA you can nearly bet that
the streets run No./So. and EA./WE. so close to what you need to
know about WHERe true north IS. bye the way THERE IS A Star up
there in the sky called the NORTH STAR, and if you can find that
you can point your Antenna or what ever to TRUE north. Were you
ever a Boy Scout? One of my merit badges was to find stars/planets
etc.

At 10gig to 25 gig's we are now talking a whole new story. Try Star
TRek. I worked on Gene Rodenberrys Satellite system before he went
on his own Trek mission. You know what he could care less where
TRUE NORTH was.

Talk about BANDWITH
Hank