40-2CD Feedpoint - Baluns

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: 40-2CD Feedpoint - Baluns
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 11:22:30 -0500 (EST)

>The dipole connector at the feedpoint is a good idea.   Do you still use
>the CC recommended RF choke?  Do you just put PL-259s on the end of the
>RF choke to mate to the dipole connector?

     The purpose of the balun at the feedpoint is to keep RF off the outside
of the coax shield and to keep the feedline from radiating.  Lack of a balun
will encourage phone calls from your neighbors whenever you get on the air.
 You should still use some sort of balun.  While the wound coax RF chokes
aren't very precise in terms of resonant frequency, they do seem to work.
 Other current type baluns will probably work FB; I haven't noticed any
sensitivity of the 402CD to particular configurations.  My comments were more
aimed at the mechanical feedpoint connection.

     BTW, if you're having RF, telephone, VCR, etc. interference problems,
the first thing you need to have is a good ground system and have everything
connected to it.  The other thing that may be worth trying is putting another
balun at the shack end of the coax.  Then you've basically insured that your
feedline will be 'cold' in the RF sense and non-radiating.

73,  Steve  K7LXC