HAM-type rotors and connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: HAM-type rotors and connectors
From: ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca (Don Moman)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 10:16:01 -0700 (MST)
Wire nuts, special connectors in place of the terminal strip - wouldn't
have any of that here, that's just a lot of extra work and cost, and
limits the flexibility of the system.  A simple 3 foot pigtail and those
trusty 8 pin Cinch Jones plugs that have been around for decades work
great. They are cheap, rugged and there is enough room to solder healthy
sized conductors for those long runs. Also that way you can mount the
rotor on a flat plate without a hole in it, if needed.  All my rotor boxes
(7 boxes/9 rotors) and cables have the same wiring to the same plug, I can
test any rotor with any other control box, I can take a control box out to
the bottom of any tower and plug in there to test operation, etc.  Rotors
are enough of a pain, and the Ham IV/T2X are no exception, that the last
thing you need is to make replacing and testing them even more work!
Besides I can unplug a cinch jones at -30C without taking my mitts off -
wire nuts - you must be kidding! (for this climate anyway...)

73 Don

VE6JY is Don Moman               email: ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Box 127 Lamont, Alberta
T0B 2R0  (403) 895-2925