Belden 9913F & hardline..

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Belden 9913F & hardline..
From: k4sb@avana.net (k4sb@avana.net)
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 97 23:44:35 PST
Has anyone ever considered a solution to the problem of having to terminate the
hard line at
the top of the tower into "flexible" coax?

Would this work?

At about 2 feet from the top of the tower, transition from the tower leg to
some distance,
say 18 inches, and then coil the hardline several times as you go up the mast
into a "spring
like" shape. Terminate the hard line at the antenna and do the transition
there. I realize
this is not a practical matter to be considered at HF, but at VHF/UHF, it could
save some
DBs... My VHF antennas are some 30 feet above the top of the tower, and even at
144, that's
a loss I would like to avoid.

Comments?

Just had another idea...could you use some arrangement ( such as an arm on 2
thrust bearings
( or for that matter, holes drilled into the flange itself )seperated by the
length of the mast?
The bearings would be attached to the mast, but the arms would hold the
hardline say a few
inches from the mast. The mast and the interior part of the bearing would
rotate, but the
hardline connected to what is usually the mounting flange would not.

I've GOT to stop smoking this cheap stuff!

Best,

Ed

Name: Ed Sleight
E-mail: k4sb@avana.net