NEC & Tower Permits

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: NEC & Tower Permits
From: Andrew B. White" <k9cw@prairienet.org (Andrew B. White)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 07:53:35 -0600 (CST)
On Tue, 11 Feb 1997 k4sb@avana.net wrote:

> Guys, the discussion is fine in theory, but anyone who would even think of
> erecting a tower
> which comes any distance that close to power lines is going to have his
> fellow hams sitting
> on his porch, drinking his beer, and telling his widow what a fine guy he
> was.

Some of us can't avoid this problem.  When I lived in the city, I had a
45 x 132 foot lot with the primary power drop down the long side of the
property to a pole transformer for several adjacent homes at the back of
the lot.  There was no place that I could put the 48 foot Rohn 25 tower
on that lot to get adequate clearance.  Before I put up the tower, I
bought a used Classic 36, but that would have hung over the lines and the
neighbor's yard, so I put up a KT34A instead, and it worked well for 8 years.

I agree with your point, however.  When we moved 5 years ago, the new
tower is 115 feet from the house (and I wish it were tall enough to hit
the house).  If it falls over, the only thing to break its fall in one
direction is a cedar picket fence.

We make do with what we have...

73, Drew

|    Andrew B. White  K9CW    |    internet: k9cw@prairienet.org    |
|    ABW Associates, Ltd.     |   phone/fax: 217-643-7327           |