[TowerTalk] HG 204BA Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HG 204BA Question
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 14:48:08 -0500 (EST)

<< W2PV's work was pace setting and helped to bring about the
 revolution in the antenna modelling world as we now know it.
 But the 204BA can be improved considerably, if you are willing
 to change both element spacings as well as lengths.
 And from the original question I would assume that this
 is an option.

 The definition of improved performance may mean different things
 to different people.  Helping the VSWR bandwidth is a big
 improvement to me because I run Alpha 87As and they are
 much happier with low VSWR than many other amps--so
 my definition may be different than someone else's. >>

John --

      How true!  Thanks for your pithy post.  Designing an antenna involves a
myriad of variables; improving something invariably degrades something else.
 Actually, other antenna manufacturers use the 204BA as their benchmark
antenna during tests attesting to its successful design and historical
performance.

     This antenna and the classic TH6DX were designed before the days of
computer modeling by 'trial and error' on Hy-Gain's antenna range.  An
interesting story/interview with the designer of the the TH6DX, Howie Pabian,
ex-W0QAN, (I don't know if he was the same guy that designed the 204BA)
appeared in my NCJ column in the March/April 1995 issue.

     But I digress....

73,  Steve  K7LXC