[TowerTalk] Installing Coax Connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Installing Coax Connectors
From: JC_Smith@designlink.com (JC Smith)
Date: 25 Mar 1997 00:27:41 GMT
I know how to install a PL-259 (though I still hate the damn things) and I
like Rod's method except for disagreeing about soldering the braid on ANY
type of low loss coax (RG-8 foam, 9913, LMR-400, etc.), but what the heck is
all the = this and = that in the posting?

Rod writes:

> What is the best method of installing a coax connector on RG11 or
> RG8?=20

Some people may be horrified at this, but...

For RG8 type coax, I strip approximately (I never measure it) 1=BC" of
jacket. With my nifty soldering station (if I'm inside; I'll use my
torch if I'm outside) I tin the braid for about =BD" centered about
5/8" from the edge of the jacket. When all is cool, I use a tubing
cutter to trim the tinned braid approximately =BD" from the edge of the
jacket. Using a utility knife, I continue at that point to cut
through the dilectric down to the center conductor, and strip it off.
I now have about 3/4" of center conductor, and about =BD" of tinned
sheild with a nice, slight taper at the end of the cable.=20

I screw on the connetor and solder the center conductor (with
soldering station inside, torch outside). Then I hit the body of the
connector with the torch. This takes a little practice, because the
trick is not to stay too long. Watch the color of the connector body;
it should change once, which is when the solder should flow in to the
holes. Get solder in all four holes.

Did I mention the wet rag? Quench the connector immediately upon=20
finishing soldering. Otherwise, the heat will wick up the body and=20
begin melting the jacket outside the connector which makes it look=20
unprofessional.

Did I mention putting the barrel on before the connector? No matter=20
how many connectors you do, you will forget 1 in 20 times.=20
Fortunately, half of those will be the first connector on a short=20
jumper.

This works with foam dilectric, but you really need to watch
carefully, especially when tinning the braid; don't spend too much
time doing it. It also works with adapters (UG175 and UG176).=20

Always, meter the connector to make sure there are no shorts. Always,
always, always do it before attaching the second connector.=20

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE
         (c) 5 November, 1996