[TowerTalk] 2 towers/2beams phased

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 2 towers/2beams phased
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 02:18:02 -0800 (PST)
>I'm probably going to end up with two 60 foot towers, spaced about 100 ft,
>one with a 204BA and one with a KT-34A.  This should provide some casual
>multi-multi fun.  Although beams are generally stacked vertically, it
>occurred to me that these antennas might be fed in phase to get more gain
>on 20 meters.
>
>Would you get real gain from this, or just some "diversity" effects on
>receive?  Would the Dunestar device be appropriate, or does it need equal
>lengths of coax going to each antenna?  I assume that even if I didn't
>measure the coax cables before putting up the antennas, I could find the
>best directions (I assume there would be two good directions, 180 degrees
>apart) by turning the antennas and comparing "both" to "either".  Then I
>could add coax to one antenna's feedline in increments for other directions.
>
>Sounds like a cheap way to get a little punch on 20 meters when needed,
>even with short towers.  Will it work?
>
>Dennis,  W5RZ

I have never tried anything like this, but it seems to me that with careful
spacing between towers, you should be able to get 4 good directions out of
this setup instead of just two.  I think if the towers were exactly one
wavelength apart and fed in phase, the patterns should line up and add when
they are lined up directly one behind the other.  That should give you two
good directions.  The other two good directions are when the elements tips
of one antenna point directly to the element tips of the other antenna.

Anybody actually HAD this experience?

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com