[TowerTalk] phillistran guy wires

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] phillistran guy wires
From: n4si@pobox.com (n4si@pobox.com)
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 07:16:13 +0000
> Does anyone have experience with phillistran guys...

Like W0MU, I first put up Phillystran when you had to pot the ends. I
put up one set on my tower and helped two other hams with theirs. It
took me that long to figure out the best way to do things.

Although the potting was sort of a pain, it wasn't that bad. Being
able to use Crosby clamps was a mixed bag; easier and cheaper than
potting, but they had to be re-tightened at least once about a month
after installation. The Big Grip type dead ends are the best
solution, although I haven't used them yet.

I haven't noticed any difference in radiation pattern on the
antennas, but then I had the steel guys pretty well broken up.

The big difference I noticed was aesthetics; the Phillystran guys
look so much better than the insulated steel guys. Believe it or not.

Also like Mike, I won't have a tower again without Phillystran. About
15% more to do than steel with insulators.

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE
         (c) 5 November, 1996