[TowerTalk] .NEC input files

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] .NEC input files
From: cebik@utkux.utcc.utk.edu (L. B. Cebik)
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 06:41:36 -0500 (EST)
To EZNEC users,

I have had a few questions regarding standard form .NEC input files, which
have a quite different appearance than the antenna description file
produced by EZNEC.  Since these files are likely to be fairly standard
with many implementations of NEC, you may wish to become familiar with how
they store data and how to read them.  I have placed on my web site a
short introduction to them, using an EZNEC antenna description file and a
corresponding .NEC file for the same antenna under the same conditions.
The exercise takes the cards line-by-line and includes the most common
parameters likely to be used with ham antennas (for example, lumped
constant loads, transmission lines, ground media, etc.).

The exercise is short in that it omits many cards in the NEC deck which
are very useful.  However, at 17 KB, it is much too long to post here.  If
you do not have browser capability and have an interest in this item, I
can send an ASCII copy via direct e-mail.

If you have only used EZNEC, which generates but keeps invisible a NEC
deck, becoming familiar with .NEC input files may give you an insight into
how this FORTRAN-based calculation engine does its job.

-73-

LB, W4RNL

L. B. Cebik, W4RNL         /\  /\     *   /  /    /    (Off)(423) 974-7215
1434 High Mesa Drive      /  \/  \/\     ----/\---     (Hm) (423) 938-6335
Knoxville, Tennessee     /\   \   \ \   /  / || /      (FAX)(423) 974-3509
37938-4443     USA      /  \   \   \ \       ||              cebik@utk.edu