[TowerTalk] 70-ft Debris Radius?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 70-ft Debris Radius?
From: crb@nanoteq.com (Chris R. Burger)
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 09:46:23 +200
KF6CWX wrote:

> This notion has physically been shown to be false.  I can't remember the
> exact
> specification, but its something like 33% of the height of the tower.  In
> other words, a 50' tower should fail/fall into a circle about 17' in diameter.
> the lay-person.
I would think, intuitively and therefore probably incorrectly, that
this notion would only apply to towers that are high relative to the
length.  In other words, I doubt if 50' of Rohn 55 would collapse on
itself.  200' of Rohn 25 definitely will!

I would think that a reasonable falling radius for squat towers (i.e.
wide and short) is to take the guy anchor, and draw an arc
towards the tower, equal to the length of the top guy plus the
mast above it.  In other words, if your top guy is 100' long, and you
have 20' of tower/mast above the guy attachment point, I would think
it unlikely that anything will fall more than 120' from any of the
guy points.  Drawing a circle around each guy anchor and then finding
the intersection between the three circles will probably tell you
where you should not put your deck chair in a storm.

Of course, for free standing towers the considerations are very
different.

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ